DART Bus Operator praised for helping distressed man from Dallas High Five

IMG_4774

DART Bus Operator Zulita Walker is being praised after she followed her gut instinct while seeing a car stopped at the highest point of Dallas’ High Five Interchange.

Walker had just completed her route and was heading back to the East Dallas garage around 1 a.m. on September 30 when she saw a car pulled over on the High Five. She thought it was someone with car trouble, so she stopped to see if she could help. Behind the car’s flashing lights was a 21-year-old sad and distressed young man sitting on the High Five’s ledge.

Walker exited the bus and asked him if everything was OK. After alerting another motorist to call for help, she invited him onto her bus to talk. With tears steaming down his face, he confided to Walker that he didn’t think anyone cared about him.

“I told him, ‘If I didn’t care I wouldn’t have stopped,'” said Walker.

Walker, a nine-year DART employee who has a 25-year-old son of her own, talked to the man about how devastated his mom would be if she woke up the next day without him around. She even offered to drive him home to Rowlett.

Dallas Police arrived at the scene and took the man to get some help, but not before Walker gave him a big hug and told him that she loves him and hopes to see him again.

Reflecting on the situation, Walker just want to remind everyone, “go that extra mile, even if you don’t feel like it.” In this case, it potentially saved a life.

This entry was posted in Other. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to DART Bus Operator praised for helping distressed man from Dallas High Five

1. deliramary@gmail.com says:

WOW; thank God u listened to him!!! We need more ppl like u Zulita Walker!

2. Mrs. Edwards says:

AWESOME!!!! I know that’s what God wants us all to do….Help each other!! You have done a wonderful thing, Zulita!

3. Thank you Zulita. You are a beautiful human being! You could have just kept driving, but you didn’t.

4. Leamon Parker says:

Very good observation, followed by a very good response to the situation. Now this is a 100 star customer service when a life is saved. You deserve to be reconized with the best of all times commendation.

5. Shekia Jones says:

OMG!! this is awesome, the thing about Mrs. Walker she is always a care giver. I can remember back to when I first started at Dart and felt like I was a deer walking in head lights, but when I met Mrs. Walker she helped me warm up to the Dart world.

6. Lisa says:

Amazing story! Never know when one kind word, act, or listening ear can save someone’s life. You are a special person.

7. MARVONA SEALES says:

KUDOS TO MISS WALKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’M SO THANKFUL THAT YOU WHERE AT THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME. YOU REMIND ME OF MYSELF…FULL OF JOY AND LAUGHTER. WHEN YOU ENTER THE ROOM, YOU LIGHT UP THE PLACE. YOU ARE A WOMAN OF STATUE AND YOU’RE BEAUTIFUL INWARDLY AND OUTWARDLY. I’M A FIRM BELIEVER THAT WHAT’S IN YOU,,,,,,,,,,WILL COME OUT OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. LU-VERL DAVIS says:

THANK GOD FOR USING YOU AS OUR SAVIOR

9. Glenda Collins says:

WOW what a wonderful act of kindness. Good job Mrs. Walker.

10. Bob English says:

This story speaks worlds about you, Ms. Walker…as do the comments of those who know you well. Thanks for being a spark of inspiration to all of us at DART!

11. Crystal Pace says:

Ms. Walker, You made the difference…..Thank You!!!

12. robert tressell says:

Robert Tressell That is such a lovely & loving show of kindness. Thank you for being a blessing to someone who really, really needed one. Much love to you.

13. Duane Gaut says:

Job well done my sister and may Jehovah’s blessing be with you in these most critical times hard to deal with 2 Timothy 3:1

14. Terri Cole says:

Wow. What a wonderful example of caring for others. I’m am so sad to know that she lost her life last night. Life is so fleeting. Rest in peace sweet lady. God bless your family

15. God Bless You ~ You ROCK! Thank you for helping this young man!

16. Shantay johnson says:

REST IN PEACE MRS WALKER!!!!!

17. Dawn Quiett says:

Two years ago, I was hit by an SUV while I attempted to walk across the street. That was bad but the worst part is that I sat, alone, in the middle of the street crying for help for almost 10 minutes. Until a man got out of a white pick-up with the DART logo on it. He came over, put his arm around my shoulder and just sat with me. I stopped crying. I was able to breathe and tell the paramedics what happened. The man was gone and I didn’t get his name. I have looked for him, though. I want him to know that what he did meant the world to me.

Ms. Walker drove one of the buses, I took after the accident. She asked about it and I told her about the man. She tried to find him too but still nothing. DART drivers get a bad rap sometimes, but a majority I have encountered have been professional and compassionate. When I got off Ms. Wilson’s bus late at night, she’d wait a minute to make sure I got in my building ok. That meant the world as well.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s