National Dump the Pump Day is Thursday, June 19 and DART is encouraging North Texas commuters to give public transit a try to save some money this month.
Beginning Tuesday, June 10, DART will be hosting Dump the Pump events all around the service area offering informational pieces, environmental facts and a list of key destinations that offer discounts for riding public transit.
Tuesday, June 10:
- Parker Road Station: 6:30 a.m.-7:30 a.m.
(2600 Archerwood St., between East Park Boulevard and Parker Road)
- Mockingbird Station: 5:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m.
(5465 E. Mockingbird Lane, east of North Central Expressway)
Wednesday, June 11:
- Downtown Garland Station: 6:30 a.m.-7:30 a.m.
(430 W. Walnut St., Walnut Street at Fifth Street)
Thursday, June 12:
- Trinity Mills Station: 6:30 a.m.-7:30 a.m.
(2525 Blanton Dr., near Trinity Mills Road and Broadway Street)
Friday, June 13:
- Westmoreland Station: 6:30 a.m.-7:30 a.m.
(2646 S. Westmoreland Rd., Illinois Avenue and Westmoreland Road)
Saturday, June 14:
- Hawaiian Falls Garland: 10:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
(4550 N. Garland Ave., Garland)
- Dallas Zoo: 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
(650 South RL Thornton Fwy., adjacent to Dallas Zoo Station)
- Half Price Books Northwest Highway: 6:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
(5803 E. Northwest Hwy.)
Tuesday, June 17:
- Pegasus Plaza: Noon-1:00 p.m.
(corner of Akard and Main streets, Dallas)
According to the April APTA Transit Savings Report, individuals in a two-person household can save an average of more than $10,174 annually by using transit and downsizing to one car. Previous APTA studies have pointed out the economic impact transit can have within communities. For example, more than $5.4 billion have been invested in new transit oriented development along DART’s 85-mile light rail corridor.