photo 1 (1)

As part of a new pilot program, DART is reconfiguring the middle car on 10 light rail vehicles to better accommodate bicycles, wheelchairs, strollers, luggage and more.

We have eliminated some seating in the low-floor portion of the middle cars to give more space to those who need it most. This will help keep the aisles and doorways clear to allow individuals to move around more freely. It also will better suit travelers coming to and from DFW Airport and Dallas Love Field with rolling luggage in tow.

Expect to see this configuration appear on more vehicles across the service area in the coming weeks. Please share your feedback about the changes in the comments below or contact us at 214-979-1111. We will evaluate customer feedback and ridership and consider rolling out the design to the entire fleet after completion of the pilot program.

photo 3

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Yield to Wheels: DART reconfigures rail cars to better accommodate bikes, wheelchairs and more

1. Jill says:

This is great news! My bike and I thank you. Being able to combine biking and public transit makes Dallas so much easier and more efficient to navigate.

2. I think this is a much needed improvement. More often than not, I’ll see people sitting in the wheelchair or bicycle areas and simply do not move because they’re already sitting. This forces cyclists and the wheelchair bound to occupy the space in front of the doors, blocking it for passengers making it nigh on impossible to enter or exit the car. DART police simply walk around the issue without enforcing anything, but that’s another story for another time.

3. Joey says:

I’m glad to be a part of the process to pick from three different plans. And this what we voted on.

4. Sarah says:

Gary Copeland, Marvin Hurt and Steve Biba thanks for implementing and driving hard to get this pilot on the road to “success”. Only one of the benefits for the MAX program. GREAT JOB team members.

5. Drew says:

This is awesome! There’s nothing worse than bringing your bike on the low-floor car when passengers are occupying the hanging bike rack seats and wheelchair areas – especially with plenty of available seats elsewhere. This should make getting in and out of this car much simpler for all.

6. Mel says:

About how long will this pilot program last?

7. Mel says:

Thanks Travis!

8. enrique says:

this is great news, the middle carts are always have people on bikes standing up since there are only two racks or seats are taken

9. John Astle says:

Thank you, DART.

10. Richard Downing says:

WOW!!!! I walked on a DART train today and I nearly started crying–being a “bicyclist” I have experienced many ugly confrontations from riders who feel bicyclist are somehow inconveniencing them–although there are almost always plenty of seats in the front and rear cars–but that’s not the half of it–people many times will just REFUSE to move to another seat to allow a person in a wheelchair to get in the space for wheelchairs–and you don’t dare ask them –unless your in for a fight. This new designs is PERFECT. For some reason people seem to love the middle car—however–since when I am on my bike I have no choice–so when I am without my bike I love to sit in the front car. I wondered why do people like the middle car so much—I have decided they are to lazy to walk up 3 steps, while I am sure there are many reason. I would love to give DART a BIG HUG. Thank You..

• Steve says:

Richard – I am one of the DART team working on this pilot project. Thank you for perfectly capturing one of several issues DART is trying to address. Along with all the other users, including wheelchairs and other mobility impairments, DART wants to make sure that bike riders can fully utilize the system.

11. phil says:

stumbled upon this article yesterday 8/13/14 and got really excited about this. decided to look for it this morning on the green line.
    nope, 2 cars from trinity mills.
    often when riding home there will be 3 of us going north on the green line all standing in the door way.
    the way i see it is that the seats near the bike hooks are coveted seats by many. they are the same people sitting in them everyday.
    i do like hanging my bike but feel bad as it takes up to seats for one bike. this new lay out makes it clear as to what the space is for.

please please please make this happen on all trains.

12. scott says:

Sounds like an excellent idea. I used to ride the Denton & DART trains to downtown. Never had a problem finding a place for my bike on the Denton train. I could never find a good place to put my bike on the DART train. Always had to stand in the isle with my bike in everyones way. I finally gave up using the trains because the DART train was such a hastle to take a bike on. I’ll have to give the train another try with this new configuration.

13. wheeler says:

W00T!
    DART has come so far since Maurice Carter publicly schooled me on how public transit and bikes didn’t mix.

14. I can’t tell you how happy this makes me. I take my bike on the bus to the train station and then the train to downtown. I’ve almost given up more than once due to the difficulty of finding room on the train. I was discussing this just yesterday with a gentleman in a wheelchair. I was standing in the doorway with my bike and he was forced to park his wheelchair in the opposite doorway. For some reason the slrv cars are where everyone gets on and takes the first seat thay can find.

Bravo Dart! A much needed improvement!

15. Michael says:

At this moment I am on the rail (with my bike) and people with no wheels are occupying the fold down seats. All other cars are virtually empty at this hour. I think a part of the allure of the wheelchair/bike car is that you can walk right into it without climbing stairs. It’s a little ridiculous since you still have to climb stairs once inside if you move to another car. Good move DART. I’ve seen and have ridden the new cars mentioned in this article. It’s a step in the right direction, but not a cure all. When getting on that train there were people standing in the open bicycle spot! I know no one wants to do it, but enforcement is really the only fix. Your signs say that bikers should feel welcome, but I think there is still much work to be done. Bike riders are expected to be courteous and always make space but it is never reciprocated. Again enforcement (no smoking on the rail platforms as well please) is the only real fix.

16. Brian says:

I’m on one of these cars right now and am already frustrated. Before, I could hang my bike in a stable position and potentially sit down. Now I have to keep my bike upright in the big open area in the corner, and stand next to it so it doesn’t fall over evey time we accelerate or stop. It needs wheel guides/stands on the wall or floor so that you can park your bike safely and upright and sit down. Now I get to stand up for a 45 minute commute.

I do appreciate the better labeling and paint job. I would suggest combining that into better signage, floor tiles, paint, etc on the platforms so that people with wheels have a clearly marked entry point, and other users are funneled to the other doors. My number one complaint is overcrowding when the other cars are mostly empty.

17. jenn says:

What are the 1/2 circle holes/cutouts for next to the area for the wheelchairs?

• Travis Hudson says:

They are for the light rail operator to quickly access the door control panel.

18. JoshP says:

I understand the want to hang your bike up. But during rush hour when it is standing room only and you wish to take 2 seats for your bike and a 3rd seat for your butt it’s a little hard to swallow. How does your ticket price include 3 seats and I should be forced to stand? Bikes during rush hour is a pain in the ass simply put. And I am a fellow cyclist. I just don’t impose my hobby on others.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s