As you may recall, DART’s Red and Blue Line Platform Extension project is underway. Once complete, all of DART’s light rail stations will be able to accommodate longer, three-car trains. The platform extension project is focused on modifying and extending the 28 stops that were built prior to 2004; all other stops were either built with three-car trains in mind or have already been updated.
Benefits for Riders and Non-Riders Alike
For regular riders, this project will mean:
For local residents who may not ride regularly, the completion of the platform extension project will mean more cars off the road, easing congestion during our morning and afternoon commutes and lessening our environmental impact.
The Changes Ahead
As work continues to move forward on the Red and Blue Line Platform Extension project, there may be some minor, temporary changes and other considerations that could impact your commute. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- While light rail stations should remain open throughout construction, all or part of the train platform may be closed to accommodate construction.
- One or more train platform crosswalks may be closed, but at least one walkway should always remain open.
- Some trains will be single-tracking at stations where platforms are in the process of being updated, meaning they may only utilize one side of the platform.
- Clearly marked signs will help direct you where you need to go to reach your train or bus—keep an eye out for signs telling you where to board and access the platform.
- Allow more time than you normally would to move through the station or transfer between trains and buses.
- If train service is temporarily suspended, you may need to use a bus bridge during one leg of—or to start or complete—your journey. These buses will display a SHUTTLE destination sign and will be loading at the red bus stops located at each station.
In case you missed it, be sure to check out our previous blog post on this project for an important update on federal funding. And you can keep up with the latest updates on the DART Red and Blue Line Platform Extension project here.
If you have any questions or concerns—or if you just want to stay in the loop—about this project, including estimated time frames for each phase of work—you can subscribe to DART Construction Alerts at DART.org/email, visit DART.org/plus or contact Customer Service at 214-979-1111.