The Deal on D2
The project development process for the D2 Subway is underway and will take approximately 18 months – through early 2020. One important aspect of this process involves station planning. Station planning is necessary to ensure that DART meets the many guidelines and requirements that govern station design. These requirements will inform station design in the following ways:
- Underground stations are being designed to provide easily navigated connections between platforms and passageways to the street. This will make it easier for people to find their way and will minimize security concerns.
- Station platforms and passenger passageways are being designed to be climate-controlled.
- Stations will incorporate the latest in technology and sustainable initiatives to ensure they are as accessible, convenient, safe, and comfortable as possible.
For more information on the progress toward the D2 Subway, check out www.DART.org/D2.
What’s Crackin’ On the Cotton Belt
Construction on the Cotton Belt is set to begin in 2019. Concerned about noise once the Cotton Belt is up and running? Fear not! Noise mitigation techniques will be implemented to mitigate noise at the source and along the source-to-receiver propagation path. Some of the techniques to be used to reduce noise include:
- Rail vehicle treatments
- Track treatments
- Enhanced maintenance
- Noise barriers
- Acoustic shrouds or lower volume on crossing bells
- Quiet zones at crossings in residential areas
Looking for more information? Check out our DART Daily series on the Cotton Belt Behind the Tracks. You can also see and read the Final Environmental Impact Statement at select libraries and at www.DART.org/CottonBelt.
New Mobility Mentions
Have you been enjoying our series on Raising the Bar: Platform Extensions? If so, you’ll be as excited as we were to learn that on November 28, 2018, the U.S. Department of Transportation granted an additional $2 million to DART’s Red and Blue Line Platform Extensions project. This brings the total amount of Capital Investment Grants awarded to this project to $60.76 million. This funding will help us to raise and extend platforms at 28 stations along the Red and Blue lines to get the DART rail network ready for three-car trains.
The DART Download
It’s the most wonderful time of year, and it’s the perfect time to enjoy all the season’s offerings. Join in on the celebrations and follow along on Facebook and Twitter as DART shares it’s festive tale, A DARTmas Story. Then check out these events to get you in the holiday spirit – and DART can get you there!