This annual nationwide event encourages you to try biking for part of your commute. Whether you’re heading to the office, an appointment or just running an errand, participating in Bike to Work Day helps to relieve congestion and reduce pollution in North Texas.
It makes a lot of sense, too. According to The League of American Bicyclists, 40 percent of all trips in the United States are less than two miles in length. That means for many Americans, riding a bike is a practical way to go places. Furthermore, it’s a healthy, sustainable and affordable method of transportation.
Fortunately, it’s never been easier to combine riding your bike with riding DART. Bringing your bike on board or parking it at one of our transit facilities is simple. Here are six reasons you should consider biking to work:
1. Helps the environment by doing your share for cleaner air.
2. Provides an easy connection to DART buses and trains so you can explore all things DARTable.
3. Burns calories instead of gas, while improving your health and keeping you fit.
4. Indulges your sense of adventure by introducing you to new people and undiscovered places.
5. Clears traffic congestion and reduces your carbon footprint.
6. Relieves stress by adding exercise into your day.
Now is a great time to combine riding your bike with riding DART.
For a chance to win a $150 gift card from Richardson Bike Mart, take a photo of yourself with your bike at a DART rail station, bus stop or on a bus or train. Share your photo on social media using the hashtag #DARTBike2Work.
We hope Bike to Work Day is the start of something great — your new favorite alternative commute!