Ask DART: GoPass Tap Card

Ask DART logo.png

Got questions? We’ve got answers.

Join us in our Ask DART series as we answer some of your questions about DART. Post your questions on Facebook or Twitter using the #AskDART hashtag or make a comment in the comment section below. We’ll consider all inquiries and will feature some of your submissions.

Question: I know there are going to be fare changes this summer, but I also heard there is a new payment card that offers some sort of discount?

Answer: Thank you for your question. The card you are referring to is the GoPass Tap Card that is expected to be introduced in late summer or early fall.

Here’s how it works: You will purchase a GoPass Tap Card for any initial amount you choose between $6 and $200 at participating retailers. We encourage you to then register your card at GoPass.org to protect the balance on your card in case you lose it as well as other benefits.

Once you have your card, just touch your GoPass ® Tap card to the electronic reader every time you board or transfer on a bus or train. Your fare will be deducted automatically and you’ll be charged the best fare every time you ride. Once your monthly trips reach the total cost of a monthly pass, your remaining trips in any calendar month are free.

Fare capping also will be available soon in the enhanced GoPass app. If you have any other questions related to this, visit DART.org/farerestructure.

About DART Daily

Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) gets you around 13 cities with rail, bus, paratransit, and rideshare services. We serve DFW International Airport and Fort Worth via the Trinity Railway Express (TRE). The service area consists of 13 cities: Addison, Carrollton, Cockrell Hill, Dallas, Farmers Branch, Garland, Glenn Heights, Highland Park, Irving, Plano, Richardson, Rowlett and University Park.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Ask DART: GoPass Tap Card

1. Jennifer Mitten says:

What retailers will carry this? Being able to use my phone has been so convenient because I do not have to hunt for a retailer who carries DART passes because the DART store in downtown Dallas is only open during business hours M-F. I work in Richardson from 8-5 so am not able to get to the DART during their limited hours.

• Krystal-Rose Agu says:

Hello, Jennifer. Thanks for your question.

The GoPass Tap cards will be available at 900+ retailer locations, including all 7-11 locations. Once you have a card, you’ll have the option to load value through the GoPass website or reload at a retail location.

Buying passes through the GoPass app is a great option for smart phone users as well. In mid-May we’ll be updating the GoPass app significantly with many new features including enhanced trip planning tools. Please visit GoPass.org for additional details.

2. Jose de Jesus says:

Hello good afternoon.
    next week I will be visiting dallas texas, download the Gopass app, but I can not get the message with the code to register.
    my phone number is from mexico

• Krystal-Rose Agu says:

Hello, Jose. We hope you have a good stay in Dallas. Our Customer Information Center would be happy to assist you with your trip planning needs. You can contact the center at 214-979-1111 Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

3. Carl says:

So will the GoPass be cheaper to use. I buy a $5 to go from Bush to Akard and back each dsy

4. I have 2018 Annual Dart Local Pass. I would love to transfer it to New Go Pass App. Is that possible? I am so scared I’m going to lose my Pass which I have done in the past. I want to enjoy the benefits of Balance protection that the New GoPass App will be providing.

• Krystal-Rose Agu says:

Hi, DaBrother Johnson. When you update to the new app you will be required to register using a phone number. Make sure and use the same phone number as your current GoPass account. Once registered your annual pass will show up in your GoPass Wallet. If you have any concerns, feel free to call Customer Service at 214-979-1111 and they can walk you through it and answer any questions. If you like the old version of GoPass, you’re sure to love the new one. Thanks for riding DART.

5. Johnny H. says:

The updated GoPass is incompatible with my phone, whereas I had no problem using the previous version. Is there a fix for this?

• Krystal-Rose Agu says:

Hello, Johnny. DART Customer Service would be happy to walk you through the issues you’re having. Please contact them at 214-979-1111.

6. Patrick D Whitaker says:

How do i register my card

• Krystal-Rose Agu says:

Hi, Patrick. When you launch GoPass, the new app will prompt you to enter your first name, last name and ZIP code. The next screen will ask you to enter your phone number. Press “NEXT.” You will receive a one-time passcode via SMS text message. Enter the verification code in the app and press “NEXT.” You also can register from “Your Profile,” under “More” in the app which follows the same steps. This is a one-time registration process. Visit http://www.gopass.org/asked or call Customer Service at 214-979-1111 for more info.

7. Jennifer Gillette says:

I love the card and it really easy to use and can’t wait for everyone else to get on board and enjoy it like i do and the so many retailers that customers can use to buy one is AWSOME!! Thanks DART

8. Melinda Blue says:

When you purchase the Tap Card does the remaining money stay on card until the next month.

• Krystal-Rose Agu says:

Hi, Melinda. Yes, the remaining money stays on the card. The funds only go away when you use them to purchase your trips.

9. JJ says:

Suppose I scan my Go Pass Tap card at Parker Road Station and ride the red line to Mockingbird Station. There I transfer to the blue line to go to Downtown Rowlett. Do I have to go up the stairs/elevator/escalator at Mockingbird Station to rescan my card before getting on a blue line train? (There are no card readers down on the platform at Mockingbird Station.)

• Krystal-Rose Agu says:

Hi, JJ. We are working on a solution to get card readers installed on the lower platform at Mockingbird Station. For now, simply tap at your originating station. You do not need to tap when transferring at Mockingbird Station.

10. Demetra Long says:

I currently have the gopass (not the tap card) on my phone and have already purchased a monthly pass. If I have to change phones for whatever reason, do I have to buy another monthly pass through gopass? Also, will paper tickets be phased out?

• Krystal-Rose Agu says:

Hello, Demetra.
      If you keep the same cell phone number, simply download the GoPass app onto your new phone and register using the same number and you’ll be able to access your pass. If you end up having a different phone number, you’ll need to call DART Customer Service at 214 -979-1111 and they can help you.

The GoPass app and the GoPass Tap card offer paperless options for buying tickets, and DARTmart will only sell paper tickets through the end of this calendar year. Riders will still have the option to purchase paper tickets from ticket vending machines.

11. Sophie Solano says:

Can my sister who lives in another city put money on my go pass tapcard? I live in Dallas. How is it done.

12. Kaden m. says:

Will I be able to buy a TAP card from a Ticket vending machine?

• Krystal-Rose Agu says:

Hi, Kaden. No, you cannot purchase a GoPass® Tap card from a ticket vending machine. GoPass® Tap Cards are available at hundreds of grocery stores, convenience stores and pharmacies throughout the DART Service Area. Visit the GoPass® Tap website at https://www.gopass.org/, and click on the “Find Retail Locations” link to find a location near you.

13. Robert M. says:

Can I still get reduced fares when I use the Tap card?

• Krystal-Rose Agu says:

Hi, Robert. Yes you can. Make sure to register your GoPass Tap card so the system will know to charge a reduced fare. Feel free to contact DART Customer Service at (214) 979-1111 for more info on registering as a reduced fare rider.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s