Find Your Stuff at DART Lost and Found

As a daily train rider, I’ve lost my fair share of stuff on DART Rail. My cell phone. My day planner. My niece’s puffy painted hoodie. Fortunately, someone found and turned in the phone and day planner. I don’t why anyone else would want that crazy sweatshirt.

I’ve also found a few things, too, that I turn in to the first-floor Lost and Found window as soon as I get to DART Headquarters.

With so many people riding DART to the State Fair of Texas® and other fall festivals, it’s easy to accidentally leave something behind. Here’s how to get it back.

Be Proactive
Please try DART Lost and Found if you think you left an item on the bus, train or transit facility. DART’s fare inspectors, police, operators, cleaning crew and maintenance staff are all checking for lost articles. Our customers are pretty great, too, turning in items they find to DART personnel or the Lost & Found office.

So many items are never claimed because those customers assumed their belongings are gone for good. Chances are we have it at Lost and Found. You just have to ask.

Be Patient
It usually takes at least 1-2 business days for couriers to transfer items from the bus and rail divisions to DART Headquarters. Those items arrive at Lost and Found at 4 p.m. on business days. If staff or customers turn in items at another facility, it may take a few days longer.

Keep checking back every day or two. Guest relations agents log all items as they come in and items are well organized in a secure storage room. They can quickly determine if your item has arrived.

Be Descriptive
DART takes caution to return items to their rightful owners. When you call or visit about a lost item, be ready to share specific details about it: color, brand, contents, day and time lost, bus route or train line, vehicle direction – anything that can prove it’s really yours and help the representative find the item. Customers also must show a valid ID to claim their belongings.

For example, when I left my phone on the train, I told the rep that I lost a turquoise Samsung Galaxy with no case while riding the Red Line back to Parker Road. My phone was chipped in the bottom corner, on the AT&T network, and there was a photo of flamingos on my screen saver.

Be Preventive
When riding transit, keep your belongings on your lap, check around you before you exit the train or bus, and make sure you take your bike, suitcase or stroller when you leave the vehicle.

Make sure there’s a contact card in every bag, backpack or purse. If you lock your phone, find a way to put your name or an ICE (in case of emergency) number on the lock screen, or put a contact card in your phone case.

Guest relations agents check lost items for anything that might have your name, phone number and/or address. If they find contact information, they will call you or mail a letter.

DART Lost and Found
DART Headquarters at Akard Station
1401 Pacific Ave., Dallas
214-749-3810
Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

About Karen Ptacek

Karen is a Communications Representative at Dallas Area Rapid Transit. She is the project manager and primary writer/editor of DART's Inmotion newsletter and the annual Progress Report publication. She also contributes to DART Daily, Rider Insider and other newsletter articles.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Find Your Stuff at DART Lost and Found

1. RAYFIELD WHITEMON jr. says:

Hello. I ride dart paratransit and left my cellphone aboard my taxi this morning on my rerurn trip home. My name is Rayfield __ and my number is ___. I was the only person aboard the taxi when i got droppped off. At this time i am unable to call lost and found and feel that the driver has found my phone. But where to pick it up . I dont know.

• Karen Ptacek says:

Hello Rayfield. I know it’s so frustrating to be without a phone and it’s hard to call anyone without it. The DART Customer Service Number – 214-979-1111 – is a local call, so perhaps you can borrow a phone. If DART Paratransit has found your phone, they will have brought it to DART Lost & Found, which is located at DART Headquarters, 1401 Pacific Ave., Dallas, TX 75202. The building is right at Akard Station and there are large DART decals on all the doors. The Lost & Found window is near the security desk, in the middle of the lobby. You can also message DART Customer Service through the online form: https://www.dart.org/webapps/csfeedback/default.asp.

2. Karen Ptacek says:

Hello Rayfield. Thank you for all the helpful information you sent about the phone you left. I’ve sent your messages to our Lost & Found team, and they have contacted the Paratransit team to try and find the phone. Please call DART Lost & Found at 214-749-3810. They will provide you with an update and collect your contact information.

3. Tierra says:

I left my lunchbix there and I’m crying because I just got that lunch box and I rlly wanted it but I don’t know if someone would take it or be so kind as to turn it in

• Karen Ptacek says:

Hi Tierra. Please call DART Lost & Found tomorrow at 214-749-3810. Someone turned in a lunch box on Wednesday evening after Lost & Found closed. We are going to turn it in to them on Thursday morning. Maybe this one is yours.

4. Pierce says:

Hi, I left my badge on the 510 Bus that leaves from Belt line station @roughly around 7:30 am on weekdays. Could you all reach out to the driver to confirm I took off work tomorrow and wanted to make sure it was turned in

• Karen Ptacek says:

I forwarded your message to our DART Lost & Found team. Please call them at 214-749-3810, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. to confirm that they have your badge before you come to DART Headquarters at Akard Station. Sometimes it takes a day or two for lost items to be delivered from our bus divisions back to Lost & Found. When you do come to DART HQ, please call the Lost & Found number from the lobby from either your personal or the lobby phone. The Lost & Found window is temporarily closed, but the team is still in the building.

5. Katheryn Reynolds says:

My brother n law (William Reynolds) left his phone on the DART handi ride Bus. The Bus had been involved in an accident, I think it was Monday, 8/26/19. He said he called and was told to come downtown Friday, 8/30/19 to the lost and found office and the office opens at 4pm. Is this correct information?

• Karen Ptacek says:

Hi Katheryn. I’m sorry to hear your brother-in-law has been without his phone. DART’s Lost & Found office receives lost articles from our divisions daily at 4 p.m., and it usually takes a day for items to get there. If your brother-in-law left his phone on a DART vehicle on Monday, and our staff found it, it should be at Lost & Found already. He should come to DART Headquarters at Akard Station, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The physical Lost & Found window is temporarily closed, but the staff are still in the building. When he gets to the lobby, he must call the Lost & Found phone number 214-749-3810 from either the lobby or his personal phone. He may want to call in advance before he comes downtown. The security desk staff can help him with questions, if needed.

6. Fernando patino says:

I have a red brown wallet with a GoPass tapcard and I don’t know If i lost it Cockrell Hill transfer location Cockrell Texas I was searching and looking I already my lost tapcard go pass

• Karen Ptacek says:

Hi Fernando. I sent your message on to the DART Lost & Found team. Please call them at 214-749-3810 on Wednesday, 9/4, to see if your wallet has been turned in before you come downtown to DART Headquarters at Akard Station.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s