Clean Air Action Day is this Friday, June 24! On this day, lend a hand and do at least one thing you’ve never done before to help improve air quality in North Texas.
Poor air quality, specifically ozone, is dangerous for people who have asthma or respiratory problems as they may experience increased frequency of asthma attacks and healthcare needs. Young children may also be at risk for developmental problems associated with ozone exposure.
People without respiratory problems or asthma can also experience health effects from ozone exposure, such as coughing, throat irritation, chest tightening, shortness of breath and pain, burning or discomfort when taking a deep breath.
Luckily, we can do things to help manage our air quality. Depending on our actions, we can make it better or worse. Which of the following clean air actions can you incorporate into your day on June 24?
- Carpool or van-pool
- Use mass transit
- Bike or walk
- Take lunch to summer activities or work
- Maintain consistent driving speed by avoiding quick accelerations and hard braking
- Avoid idling
- Combine trips or drive less
- Report smoking, polluting vehicles (#SMOKE)
- Confirm you are up-to-date on regular vehicle maintenance and State emissions safety inspection
- Consider an electric or alternative fuel lawn mower
- Switch to energy efficient light bulbs
- Pursue energy efficient home improvement projects
- Choose a clean vehicle option if purchasing a new vehicle (electric, hybrid, natural gas, propane, biofuels, SmartWay)
- Use a vehicle-approved biofuel in your car (i.e., E85 and B20)
- Call for an alternative-fuel or hybrid vehicle if going to the airport or around town
- Buy local or at places where less driving is required (e.g., farmers markets, walkable communities, etc.)
- Encourage someone else to make clean air choices on 6.24.16
- Tell a friend about Air North Texas and options that help improve air quality in the region
- Commit to Be Air Aware the entire ozone season
Once you’ve decided what you’ll do for Clean Air Action Day, visit www.airnorthtexas.org/cleanair.asp and log your commitments. Then, share your Clean Air Action Day story at www.airnorthtexas.org/story.asp.
In support of Clean Air Action Day, Air North Texas will host a Live Stream on Transportation & Air Quality June 24. Find agenda and live stream information at